Let’s go over the basics of how to pin something yourself on Pinterest, how to pin someone else’s pin, and how to pin from a website.
Also, check out the end of this article for a bonus tip on how to pin videos!
1. How to pin something yourself
Do you have pictures on your computer that you’d like to pin on Pinterest? Do you have pictures of a holiday or weekend event that you’d like to share? Are you confused by how best to do so? Look no further. Here I will walk you step-by-step though the process of pinning a picture from your computer.
1. Log into Pinterest
2. In the top right hand corner, click on “add”
3. This will cause the ADD icon to pop up. The icon reads, “add a pin, upload a pin or create a board.” To share a picture from your computer, you need to click on “upload a pin”
4. Next, you will be prompted to “browse” the files of your computer.
5. Once you pick the image file you want, a thumbnail version of the picture will appear. Next to it, a list of your pin boards will be available in a drop down window. Click on the dropdown arrow and choose the board to which you’d like to pin your picture.
6. Add a description of the picture.
7. Then click, the red “pin it” button.
Ta-Da! You’ve done it! Go back to your boards to check out your handy work!
2. How to pin someone else’s pin (also known as repining)
1. Log into Pinterest
2. Instead of going to your pin boards, stay on the home page: http://pinterest.com
3. Scroll through all of the pictures and click on an image you like.
4. Put your curser over the enlarged image. In the top left hand corner two buttons will appear. One is titled “repin”, the other is titled “like”.
5. Click on the “repin” button. This will allow you to pin the picture to one of your boards.
6. When you click on “repin”, again you will be presented with a dropdown of all of your pin boards. Choose the pin board to which you’d like to add the picture.
7. If you’d like to add or change the description, you can do so here.
8. Lastly, click “pin it”
3. How to Pin from a website.
Part 1 – The Quick Way
1. The easiest way to pin from another website (or your own website) to one of your pin boards is to install the “pin it” button on your bookmarks bar.
2. To add the “pin it” button to your bookmarks bar, visit: http://pinterest.com/about/goodies/
3. Then, open up the webpage with the picture you want to pin.
4. Once you’re on the webpage with the picture you want to pin, click on the pin it button in your bookmarks bar.
5. All of the available pictures from that page will appear. (Example below)
6. From the available pictures click on the one you originally wanted.
7. The “pin boards” dropdown menu will show up in a new window. Pick the correct board for the picture. Fill in a description and click on the Pin it button.
8. No worries! Pinterest will automatically links the picture back to the website you pinned it from. This provides the credit you need.
Part 2 – The Long Way
1. Open the webpage with the picture you want to pin.
2. Copy that webpage’s URL
3. Open pinterest.com and log in.
4. Click on the “Add” button in the top right hand corner.
5. Then, click on “Add a Pin”
6. Paste the URL of the webpage with the picture you want and click on “Find Images”
7. The picture you want may NOT show up immediately. If not, click the next button, until the right picture shows up.
8. The “pin boards” dropdown menu will also appear. Pick the correct board for the picture. Fill in a description and click on the Pin it button.
How to Pin Videos
Pinterest is not just for images! You can also pin videos. For a quick how-to tutorial, visit: http://blog.pinterest.com/post/8670310296/video-pins
This is a great feature if you want to pin a “Did you know” video, a “Do it yourself” tutorial, a “how to” lesson, or if you just want to post a funny moment!
What do you like best about pinning? Do you have any pinning tips or tricks? Share below!