Do you wish you could make it easier for your followers to pin your blog photos? Do you not like that “pin it” button underneath your post? Want to keep up with the latest trends in blogging? Then you need to get to know the new “Pin It” mouseover button.
The things I love the most about this plugin are:
- It shows up automatically on all of your blog photos – The “Pin It” mouseover button shows up directly over any photo on your blog when the reader hovers over it and allows users to “pin” images directly from the blog.
- It only shows up when the reader hovers over the photo, so there's no “pin it” buttons cluttering your images.
- It automatically links to your blog – Readers can click on the “Pin It” button and Voila! the image, description, the name of the post and a link to the post all go directly to their Pinterest board!
- You can customize it – Both the image and the words used to describe it.
- It makes pinning blog photos easy for readers, which means your content will get shared more often.
Here's How It Works
For WordPress blogs:
Use the Pinterest Pin It Button For Images plugin.
- Download the .zip file, go to your WordPress Dashboard, click Plugins > Add New > Upload and upload the .zip file.
- Activate the plugin, then from your Dashboard, go to Settings > Pinterest Pin It.
- Under the heading Show “Pin It” button on following pages, check the box for All Pages, add the pixel width of your content area. Click Save.
3 easy steps and you are done!
Customizing Your Button
The WordPress plugin comes with the standard “Pin It” button, but you can customize the button pretty easily. Make your own or find a free Pinterest button.
If you want to customize your button, go to Dashboard > Plugins and click “edit” on the Pinterest plugin. On the right side of the page under “Plugin Options”, click on the file called “pinterest-pin-it-button-for-images/ppibfi_pinterest.css”.
You will need to replace three things in this file: the image URL, the width, and the height.
- Changing the image URL: Replace the code “ppibfi_button.png” with the link to your own image file
- Update the width and height to match the pixel width/height of your image file.
- Click “Update File” to save
You are ready to go!
One note: Make sure your image has a transparent background and is saved as a .PNG file, otherwise the background will show up white on your blog photo!
Install this plugin and watch your visits multiply!