If you sell stuff online, you’ve probably heard of the video sales letter.
BUT, you may not completely understand what it is, why you should use one, or how to create one.
In this post, I’m going to share a bunch of video sales letter formula basics…so you learn everything you ever wanted to know about them! But first, let's define what a video sales letter is.
What is a Video Sales Letter?
A video sales letter is a video used to convince people to buy a product or service. They typically sit at the top of a sales page, something like this:
They can be a “talking head” style video (like the one above for my VSL to Profit course), or they can simply consist of text-based slides with a voiceover.
Some sales pages will ONLY have the video sales letter and a “Buy” button, while others will include sales copy in addition to the VSL.
Why Would I Need One?
At the top of my list of “video sales letter basics” is the WHY: Why would we ever use one?
Well, we know that when selling online, the “know, like, trust” factor is SO important!
With people being sold to at every turn, it’s critical that they get to know you before they’re going to trust you enough to open up their wallets.
While having an in-person, one-on-one conversation is obviously ideal for this, this is just not always possible. However, by using a video sales letter, you’re doing the next best thing – talking straight to your prospects through your camera.
We also know that videos tend to result in much higher conversion rates…some say as high as 80% higher. This is obviously a GREAT reason to use a video sales letter!We also know that videos tend to result in much higher conversion rates…some say as high as 80% higher. This is obviously a GREAT reason to use a video sales letter!Click To Tweet
Finally, contrary to what many people think, video sales letters can actually be much easier to create, meaning you can get your offer out into the world much faster.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Using a VSL?
I’ve already talked about the fact that video sales letters tend to be quicker and easier to create, and usually get higher conversion rates than text-based sales pages.
But what about the cons of using a video sales letter?
Probably the biggest reason people avoid creating video sales letters is the tech side of the process. They assume it’s difficult and complicated to create a VSL…which if true, would definitely be a huge con!
However, the truth is ANYONE can create a video sales letter quickly and easily, if they have a handle on the video sales letter basics.The truth is ANYONE can create a video sales letter quickly and easily, if they have a handle on the video sales letter basics.Click To Tweet
Another con is that people assume you need to be in front of the camera, and this is something they’re just not comfortable with. I completely get this!
However, as I mentioned above, you don’t need to do a “talking head” style video if you don’t want to – a simple slideshow-style video with a voiceover can work just as well.
Is it Expensive to Create a VSL?
This is another thing that holds people back from creating video sales letters. They assume they need a fancy camera or expensive tools to create and edit their video.
But the truth is, the only equipment or tools you need are ones you already have, or can use for free!
Following are the only tools you need to create your own video sales letter:
- A computer or smartphone
- PowerPoint (PC) or Keynote (Mac)
- Camtasia (PC or Mac) or ScreenFlow (Mac) (Both offer free trial versions you can use to create your VSL)
Video Sales Letter Examples
I find it helps to see real-life examples so you can really visualize what your VSL could look like.
Here’s a video sales letter from marketing guru Russell Brunson of ClickFunnels:
And here’s the video sales letter for my Groups That Grow Your Business course:
Here is one of Pat Flynn's video sales letters for one of his courses:
Here’s a VSL from Natalie Hodson, creator of the Baby Bump Pregnancy Training System:
Here’s a sales video for The Muscle Maximizer:
And finally, here’s one for an anti-snoring mouthpiece, VitalSleep:
As you can see, it’s possible to create a video sales letter regardless of whether you’re a B2B or B2C business, and regardless of what industry or niche you’re in!
What is a Basic VSL Formula?
An effective video sales letter must follow a specific formula. It’s not the type of video where you hop on and wing it!
In my VSL to Profit training (more on this in a bit), I go into detail on the 16 (yes, 16!) steps I use to create high-converting video sales letters.
Here are the steps, in order.
- Hook 'em. Set the stage with what's in it for them and why they should stick around for the rest of your video.
- Outline the problem. What is the main problem your product or service solves? Show your viewers you identify with this pain point.
- Show that you have the solution. Let your viewers know you intend to solve this problem for them.
- Expertise and credibility. Your viewers need to know why they should trust you! Let them know why you’re uniquely qualified to help them.
- Tell the story. Tell your viewers why you created this product or service, so they know you understand their pain point.
- Paint the picture. Let your viewers know there’s a better way…and that you’re going to share it with them!
- Restate there is hope/a solution. Let people know there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.
- Introduce your solution. Identify it by name!
- Overcome objections. Eliminate any objections your viewers may have to buying your product or service.
- Explain the benefits. Talk about the big transformations your product or service offers.
- Paint the possibilities. Help people imagine what life will be like after using your product or service.
- Add awesome bonuses. Make it impossible for them to say no!
- Stack the value. Summarize everything they’re getting, and the full value of your product with bonuses.
- Take away last-minute objections.
- Make a call to action. Ask them to buy, and let them know how they can do this.
- FOMO (Fear of Missing Out). Remind them that this offer won’t last forever.
Ready to Create Your Own VSL?
In this post, I’ve given you lots of info to help you get started on your own VSL.
However, one thing that can make the whole process a LOT quicker and easier is having a fill in the blank template for your video script.
In my VSL to Profit training, I go through the formula above and break it down in more detail. I also give you the fill in the blank video sales letter formula template, as well as editable scripts so you don’t have to build your videos from scratch.
The course is based on a very simple methodology that anyone can do. You’ll get feedback from me and my team, and you’ll come out the other side of the training with a finished video sales letter.
It doesn’t get much easier than that!
Ready to start creating your video sales letter?
Click here to join VSL to Profit now.
I trust these video sales letter formula basics have given you the motivation and strategies you need to get started on your own VSL.
Videos sales letters can be a game-changer for your business, so I’m excited you’re ready to give it a try!
Have you created a video sales letter before? If not, what’s held you back? Let me know in the comments below!